HAPPY FATHER'S DAY, BABY!

Sunday, June 15, 2008


So here is our traditional breakfast in bed. I'm not sure when I started making Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins for Matt, but I think he said he liked them once, so now it is his breakfast whenever there is cause to celebrate him. And he is indeed worth celebrating. Let me tell you why I'm so thankful Matt is the father of my children.

Matt acts with great integrity. This is something I have always respected and loved about him. Because of his integrity, he can be trusted. With anything.

He has a behemoth sense of determination. He wants to advance his career, he makes opportunities for himself. He wants to run faster, he trains for speed. He knows the kind of father he wants to be, so he sets goals for himself.

As he walks in the door each evening, he gets right on the floor and rolls around with his kiddos (who think he is just the greatest).

He has an insatiable desire to READ, READ and READ some more. He'll tell you he rides the train to work because it is better for the environment, and easier on his wallet, (both are true, by the way) but it also gives him sacred moments with his latest book.

I have issues. Everyone knows it, right? But he listens and cares and never ever belittles my concerns. If it bothers me, he wants to know about it and hear about it. and hear about it. and hear about it. (thanks, babe)

He will eat anything...okay, that doesn't sound like a compliment. But it is. Whenever he is served something, he will eat it, out of respect for the server. And he won't wince about it. He will genuinely try to appreciate it. This is also a huge blessing for me, because he's so easy to prepare dinner for each night.

And at the end of each day, as it nears bedtime for the kids, all I want to do is take a shower and wash the crumbs and the day's busyness off me. I want to just run away from the task of brushing little people's little teeth and making sure everyone's had at least one story read. Matt actually looks forward to the routine. He wants to read Horton Hears A Who for the hundredth time this week. He wants to pray over each one and call out, "Buenos noches, te amo, hasta manana..." to which the kids return, "Taco Bueno, te Elmo and hasta pasta." for 10 minutes.

Ahhh, thank you Matt, for my peaceful shower each evening. And for giving me three beautiful, wonderful, amazing children to wear me out each day. I wouldn't have it any other way.

(Editor's note: After posting this,my modest husband said this post was less than accurate. For the record he would have preferred a post that said only, "He's not a picky eater.")

0 Creative People Had This To Say: