The Bride & Broom

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Don't you love my title? Belle and Boo came to me all dressed up a few weeks back and announced they were "the Bride and Broom." Of course!

Anyway, haven't posted in a few days...I've been busy thinking about packing for our first family road trip and painting garage sale finds like this $4 chair:


Then I spent today and painting these brooms. One is for a wedding gift for my cousin & his bride. The other will likely be a housewarming gift for one of my girlfriends. Click on it for a larger image.


Here's what I used:



Painter's tape may also be helpful. And I like to use acrylic pens for lines that are smaller than I am able to draw with a brush.


For the flowers I like to get plenty of paint on my small-ish brush (how's that for a technical tutorial?) and paint in the motion of a junior high heart-you know what I'm talking about, right? Then I add a dark leaf color in a "V" shape with the narrow end pointing away from the flower. Later I go back and do the leaf again in a lighter shade (when painting with layers, a good rule is to go from dark to light). Here's a closer shot of my flowers.


You have to get really creative in trying to balance the brooms while they are drying:


Once dry, I will give it a coat or two of polycrylic. And once I borrow my father in law's drill, I will put a hole through the handle to attach this coffee-dyed and stamped card (see this tutorial:

And just to keep it real, here is what my kids made for lunch while I was painting-raisin bran, goldfish, clementines and Dora dominos:

1 Creative People Had This To Say:

Sue said...

The brooms are just about the cutest thing....what a wonderful gift! You are really talented. I am new to blogging but saw where you had visited Rhoda's and that's how I found you. I really enjoyed your blogs. I'll be back.