{Out of the Mouths of Babes...or something like that...}

Sunday, January 18, 2009

Last week, the Nester showed a framed beautiful colored pencil drawing of her beloved old house. And it was beautiful. I loved the idea of having a picture of the place you call home for your family. So I picked up a pencil then next time my kids were at the table drawing and started drawing our nest...I haven't gotten very far, but you get the idea...maybe this will make it on the wall somewhere in our home...maybe not. But it cost nothing, and the kids got to practice drawing with me.



The next day, I pulled out the colored pencils and thought about a life goal of mine. Someday, I want to do a portrait of Belle. I'm not sure of the medium, but likely it will be just a pencil drawing/sketch. But it's a goal, because I want to be really proud of it, and find it an accurate portrayal of her at a young age. As we sat again at the kitchen table, I thought I might as well start practicing, right?

This is drawn from a picture of her at the pumpkin patch last fall, and was started and finished during Baby's naptime, so really just practice. But I thought it captured something, right?



So I asked Belle, after putting it up on the fridge with their drawings of the day, "Do you think it looks like you?"

After an overwhelmingly loud sigh, she said, "Don't worry, Mom, I'll fix it later." Followed by another long, and too loud sigh.


Speaking of silly things that I've heard come out of my daughter's mouth this week, here's another convo that will get recorded in her journal:

Belle: Mom, Does slow and steady win the race?

Mom: (totally surprised by the question, but whatever) Yup.

Belle: I thought Fast and steady would.



5 Creative People Had This To Say:

Mommy2CandB said...

Had no idea you were an artist too!! Awesome work!

That is hilarious the way Belle commented on the artwork, and about the race :) Gotta love em

care said...

Great work . . . makes me want to read that drawing book for kids that I got on your recommendation!

Kim @ Forever Wherever said...

I have never been able to draw or paint...great job!

Rachel said...

Belle is so cute! She's going to love you documenting these little sayings later. What a smartie--just like her parents :)

Nice pictures--you're so crafty, I forget that you can draw too.

Amy Jo said...

I really like the drawing of your home; it's beautiful! I laughed out loud at your conversations with Belle.