Our Letterboxing Birthday Party

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

My Boo is 6!  Last Friday we had a letterboxing birthday party for him and his homeschool buddies.  

Being able to have weekday birthday parties that free up your weekends is reason #28 that we homeschool. You think I just generated that number, but really, this semester already, I've made a list to remind myself why we homeschool.  I'm wondering if anyone can relate.  





If you've never letterboxed, letterboxes are boxes hidden in public places, like parks.  Clues are left on websites like letterboxing.org or Atlas Quest.  The boxes contain a notebook and a rubber stamp.  Finders make an imprint of the letterbox's stamp in their personal notebook and leave an impression of their personal stamp on the letterbox's visitor's book-or logbook.  Got it? 

We started the party with each guest making their own letterbox to take home to hide somewhere.  The kids each made their own stamp from foam sheets glued to  dry sponges, and two foam stickers stacked on top of each other.

Once everyone had a personal notebook and stamp, we split the partygoers into two groups-the first grade boys and the siblings. Two letterboxes were hidden in our neighborhood park, so  one team followed clues for one  box, while the other team  found the other box.  Then, they switched clues and  found the other box.  

Then the pizza arrived, along with cupcakes!  Because what's a party without hot pink icing? 
    




And the very next day Boo told me one of his teeth hurt.  I looked at it- and it's about to fall out!  First one for him, and it seems like such a milestone!  The saying "the days are so long, the years so fast" is too true, isn't it?  How is he six?  and why am  I so tired all the time?  Sheesh.

2 Creative People Had This To Say:

christygirl said...

Love these pics! Good friends, good food. Aw, what good memories they'll have. Yes, let's just focus on that. ;)

Empty Nest Full Life said...

My little grandson had his birthday party saturday. Looks like they had a great time, and love the mini quilt! Did you teach yourself to quilt. I am thinking I want to give it a try along with the other one hundred projects that I have going on right now. Jackie